More France News
July 21, 2006
- Materazzi punished because he is Italian - minister
- FIFA discriminated against Italy when it decided to punish defender Marco Materazzi for provoking French captain Zinedine Zidane during the World Cup final, Italy's sports minister said on Friday.
July 20, 2006
- Zidane arrives at FIFA for disciplinary hearing
- Zinedine Zidane arrived at FIFA headquarters in Zurich today to give his version of the incident which marred his last appearance in a competitive match in the 2006 World Cup final.
- Zidane banned and fined for Materazzi headbutt
- Former France captain Zinedine Zidane and Italy defender Marco Materazzi were both fined and banned by FIFA on Thursday after the head-butting incident that marred the World Cup final on July 9.
July 13, 2006
- 'Materazzi is the guilty party', insists Zidane
- Zinedine Zidane insists Marco Materazzi is the 'guilty person' after claiming the Italy defender had insulted his mother and sister before the France captain launched the headbutt which led to his World Cup final dismissal.
July 12, 2006
- Zidane: Materazzi insulted my family
- Zinedine Zidane said on Wednesday that Italian defender Marco Materazzi insulted his mother and his sister during the World Cup final against Italy
- Blatter: Zidane could yet be stripped of award
- Zinedine Zidane's head-butt on Italy's Marco Materazzi in the World Cup final might cost him the tournament's Golden Ball award, FIFA president Sepp Blatter hinted in an interview published on Wednesday.
July 11, 2006
- Trezeguet: Remember Zidane for the magic
- France striker David Trezeguet stressed Zinedine Zidane should be remembered for all the magic he has brought to the game and not for his moment of madness in the World Cup final.
- Thuram still undecided over France future
- France's most capped player Lilian Thuram believes Les Bleus have a glorious future - but has not yet decided whether he will be part of it.
- Domenech to remain France coach
- Raymond Domenech will stay on as coach after leading France to the World Cup final, the French Football Federation (FFF) said on Tuesday.