MADRID -- Spanish forward Fernando Torres expects to be ready for the World Cup following knee surgery that will sideline him for six weeks.
Torres was operated on Sunday in Barcelona and will miss the rest of Liverpool's season. Spain's World Cup opener is against Switzerland on June 16.
"Now, the World Cup is the most important thing," he said Monday on his Web site. "I have been waiting for four years, and if all goes well I do not see myself missing it."
"If I had been thinking about the World Cup and Spain, I would have asked to be taken out of the game," Torres said. "I did not do that. I wanted to make the Europa League final with my team."
Liverpool faces Torres' former club, Atletico Madrid, in Thursday's Europa League semifinals.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press