Posted by ESPN Stats & Information
Switzerland versus Honduras, Friday
Free State Stadium -- Bloemfontein
• Switzerland can advance with a win but this group is likely to go to tiebreakers, so the Swiss will look to win by at least two goals, which would assure them of advancing. Honduras must win, but will need a lot of help to advance.
• If Spain and Switzerland win there will be three teams tied with six points atop Group H. No team in the history of the World Cup has ever failed to advance when gaining six points. The only team to fail to advance with two wins was Algeria in 1982, victims of the infamous West Germany-Austria "collusion game."
• Honduras is looking for its first-ever World Cup win. Honduras gained two ties at the 1982 World Cup and a win against Switzerland would be a positive spin on a disappointing finals.
• First meeting.
What to look for
• Swiss need offense: Switzerland's defense has been stellar but it needs to get its offense firing. Swiss captain and all-time leading scorer Alexander Frei is expected to start despite his ankle injury.
• Anemic attack versus stout defense: Honduras has managed just one shot on goal in its first two games. In the Chile game, the Swiss defense broke the World Cup record for most consecutive shutout minutes.
• Swiss yellow card jeopardy: Seven Swiss players enter this game on a yellow card, including goalkeeper Diego Benaglio.
• Switzerland's Valon Behrami is suspended after getting a controversial red card against Chile.
From the research room
• Honduras is winless in its last seven games overall, failing to score in six of these matches.
• Against Chile, Switzerland had the worst passing accuracy of any team in a World Cup game since 1966 (57 percent).
• Switzerland has failed to score more than one goal in its last seven games.