• FT



    Man City


  • FT

    West Brom




  • FT

    Aston Villa


    C Palace


  • FT






Britannia Stadium, England

Referee: S Bennett | Attendance: 21813

* Local time based on your geographic location.

Stoke City

  • Dave Kitson 79'
  • Ryan Shawcross 95'
  • Tuncay Sanli 99'

3 - 1


After Extra Time

Manchester City

  • Craig Bellamy 81'

Stoke in quarter-finals as Adebayor dismissed

Ryan Shawcross and Tuncay struck in extra time as Stoke dramatically emerged victorious from their three-game epic with Manchester City on Wednesday night.

• Mancini not feeling the threat

Craig Bellamy had ensured the FA Cup fifth-round replay at the Britannia Stadium finished 1-1 after 90 minutes by immediately cancelling out Dave Kitson's late strike. But the Potters made a numerical advantage after Emmanuel Adebayor's harsh sending off count by reclaiming the lead through Shawcross from a Rory Delap throw and Tuncay finished the job.

Shawcross and Ricardo Fuller had both missed glorious chances to settle the tie in stoppage time but that was forgotten as the Potters powered into the quarter-finals for the first time since 1972. The only concern for Stoke, whose strong finish was in stark contrast to their slow start, was the view the Football Association might take of a missile being thrown at Shay Given.

Stoke initially appeared to be caught out by Manchester City's team selection. Having played out two more 1-1 draws with Stoke in the previous 12 days, City boss Roberto Mancini tried to surprise the hosts by freshening up his side.

Only five of the players that started the league clash last week began this time, with Bellamy among those to return. It was the recently-injured Wales international's first start since reports of a training ground bust-up with Mancini surfaced last week.

The changes initially seemed to work as Bellamy and Adebayor linked up well and at pace. Having previously struggled to handle Stoke's physical and direct approach, City seemed determined to dictate matters.

Adebayor forced a good early save from Thomas Sorensen from 35 yards and Vincent Kompany headed wide from a corner. Adebayor and Bellamy then combined well but a deflection took the sting out of a Pablo Zabaleta pass and Gareth Barry scuffed a shot at Sorensen.

City looked certain to score when Adebayor broke clear from the halfway line and unselfishly played in Bellamy, but the Welshman's touch was heavy and Sorensen cleared.

Stoke's Mamady Sidibe was the first to be booked, for dissent, and Fuller followed after a late challenge on Given on the edge of the box. But having troubled City with numerous Delap throw-ins lately, Stoke finally

got chance to utilise their most infamous tactic just after the half-hour.

Again it caused problems as Sidibe flicked on dangerously across goal and another throw created a shooting chance for Liam Lawrence which Joleon Lescott bravely blocked.

Stoke started the second period at a higher intensity and put the visiting defence under considerable pressure. Micah Richards was booked for a late tackle on Lawrence and Zabaleta was also cautioned soon after for catching Fuller.

Steve Bennett briefly halted play after a missile was thrown at Given, who had been booed since his clash with Fuller. When the game resumed Stoke again tried the aerial route into the City box but Lescott and Richards both headed away dangerous crosses.

It was some time before City had another opportunity, Bellamy having a volley deflected wide by Shawcross in the 65th minute. The game exploded into life 11 minutes from time as Kitson, introduced five

minutes earlier, played a one-two with fellow substitute Tuncay and raced past Wayne Bridge to score.

Stoke's supporters cheered as if a last-eight clash with Chelsea was settled but their joy was tempered as Bellamy immediately replied. Adebayor selflessly chested down a cross from Bridge and Bellamy rushed in to fire low past Sorensen.

The game barely had time to settle before Adebayor was sent off after being adjudged to have raised his arms too high in trying to hold off Shawcross. It seemed a tough decision, but Adebayor did not complain. Bellamy protested on his behalf and was booked for dissent.

Shawcross almost won it in stoppage time but headed wide from a Glenn Whelan corner and Fuller also fired narrowly off-target from outside the box. But Shawcross made amends five minutes into extra time as City again fell for a Delap throw. Delap was not far inside the City half as he launched a huge throw into the box and Shawcross timed his leap perfectly to head past Given.

This time Stoke made good on their advantage and grabbed a third goal on the counter-attack four minutes later. Whelan picked out Tuncay with a fine cross-field pass and the former Middlesbrough forward showed great skill to beat two defenders and fire past Lescott on the line. The damage was done and Stoke played out time as the fans celebrated.

  • Mancini not feeling the threat

    Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini claimed he does not feel his job is under extra scrutiny after Stoke ended his hopes of silverware.

    Asked if the pressure was increasing, Mancini said: "No, no. Absolutely not. I'm disappointed because we lost. We had a good chance to go to the next round and the final, but this is football. We must improve."

    Mancini added: "My opinion is that we played very well. We dominated the game and had six or seven chances to score a goal before the sending off of Emmanuel.

    "Football is strange. When you play well and have a lot of chances, if you don't score, something can change the game. Until the situation, it was our best performance in the last three or four games.

    "Manu played very well, fantastic, tonight. For me - maximum yellow card. It was not so dangerous."

    It was the third time the two sides had played out 1-1 draws over 90 minutes in the past 12 days and Stoke boss Tony Pulis, whose side now face Chelsea in the last eight, was pleased the Potters had finally emerged victorious.

    "We have played a team three times in the past two weeks, a team of unbelievable resources and quality," he said. "We have managed to come out on top, so we are delighted, really pleased.

    "In the first half I thought Thomas (Sorensen) kept us in the game. He made a couple of great saves, but second half and through injury time, I thought we were the better team."

    Pulis claimed he was not in a position to pass judgement on the dismissal of Adebayor.

    "I still haven't seen the sending off," he said. "When our players get sent off, I see it all the time.''

    Pulis also refused to get carried away after seeing Stoke through to the last eight for the first time since 1972.

    "I said to the players afterwards we have got a massive game here on Saturday against Arsenal," he said. "Arsene Wenger will be absolutely delighted this game has gone to two hours. We have got to make sure we turn up and give Arsenal a good game."

  • Scoring Summary

    • Stoke City
    • Manchester City

    Match Stats

    • Stoke City
    • Manchester City
    7(3) Shots (on goal) 14(8)
    19 Fouls 15
    8 Corner kicks 9
    2 Offsides 2
    46% Time of Possession 54%
    5 Yellow Cards 3
    0 Red Cards 1
    7 Saves 3


    • Stoke City
    • Manchester City
    Yellow Cards
    Red Cards