Harry Redknapp has revealed how his son Jamie alerted him to David Beckham's interest in playing for Tottenham while admitting he is trying to sign him without having seen him play for Los Angeles Galaxy.
• Redknapp: Becks keen to come
• Harry's vision for Becks role
• On The Move: Ronaldinho latest
Beckham has yet to make up his mind definitively about a move to Spurs - according to sources close to the player.
While Harry Redknapp has enthusiastically talked up a move to Spurs, the former England captain has other options to consider. ESPNsoccernet has been told that it is premature to believe that a deal with Spurs is "done".
In fact, Newcastle and Blackburn have now declared their interest in signing Beckham, and although Beckham prefers a move to London, both northern clubs are ready to outbid spurs to get their man.
And ESPNsoccernet has also been informed that Chelsea have been alerted to Beckham's availability and Carlo Ancelotti is thinking over a move.
Beckham also has intriguing offers from France and Germany as well as Spain and Italy, but he is edging towards a move back to the Premier League in order to catch Fabio Capello's eye for his last big chance to play for England again.
"At the moment we are waiting on the decision of LA Galaxy with regards to a loan move,'' a spokesman for the player said on Monday. "The loan would be a short one until the start of the MLS season. David would then return and play a full season with the Galaxy.
"Tottenham are one of many clubs who are interested but as yet we have not got into any detailed conversations as we are waiting on LA Galaxy's decision.''
Spurs boss Redknapp has refused to rule out buying the former England captain if he proves a huge hit in North London. Since revealing he was trying to sign Beckham on Friday - a U-turn on his previous position - Redknapp has repeatedly insisted the decision was a footballing one.
However, he said: "I haven't been to America to watch him play. But it's not like when I was at Bournemouth and we took George Best. We're not trying to fill the stadium, are we? You can't get a seat here anyway. I just genuinely feel he could come here and do a good job for us. When you're looking to hit Crouchy (Peter Crouch), if you're looking for someone to drop a ball on his head from set plays, free kicks, corners, there's no-one better in the world.''
Explaining how he learnt of Beckham's interest, Redknapp said: "He spoke to my son, to Jamie, about it and that's how it all came about. Jamie rang me, said he'd spoken to David Beckham and would we be interested because he'd love to come and play at Tottenham. He just said, 'I'd like to come back and play and I'd fancy playing for Tottenham, because I like the way they play'.''
Despite Beckham's roots being in north London, Spurs reportedly face stiff competition for his signature.
Redknapp joked: "We're 1-100 - he only wants to play for Tottenham ever since he was a young boy. His grandpa was a Spurs supporter. One of us!''
The Galaxy may be reluctant to allow Beckham to move after the midfielder suffered a serious Achilles injury while on a similar loan at AC Milan last year. That was the second of two spells the midfielder spent at the San Siro, during which he admitted being tempted at the prospect of a permanent move.
Asked whether Spurs might launch such a bid were the 35-year-old to star during a loan spell, Redknapp said: "No. No, no, no - it depends how he goes.''
The Spurs boss certainly has a track record of getting the best out of ageing players.
"I just get feelings for people,'' he said. "I brought William Gallas here and everybody said, 'You're effing mad! What are you bringing him here for?' - and how good has he been? What a player! I took Kanu (to Portsmouth) six years ago. People who are supposed to know said, 'He's finished, he's had it,' and he's still playing there now. He scored in the semi-final and the final of the FA Cup for me.''
Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew says it is unlikely he will make a move for the player, claiming it has been just media talk.
He said: "People are suggesting we are in the market for him because I have said I want an offensive player and obviously, he is one of the few on the market.
"I have not dismissed it, but in no way are we in talks or anything like that. I have not dismissed anyone because I don't want to limit my chances here.
"I think it is unlikely, but we have targets elsewhere which give probably more chance of fruition than that one.''