Print and go back ESPNsoccernet: England Soccernet Print

Saturday, January 19, 2008
Shevchenko: Anelka arrival won't forced me out

LONDON, Jan 19 (Reuters) - Ukraine striker Andriy Shevchenko has said he will not be forced out of Chelsea's attacking line-up by the arrival of Frenchman Nicolas Anelka.

Anelka, who joined last week from Bolton Wanderers in a 15 million deal, is looking forward to forging a partnership with Ivorian Didier Drogba at the Premier League club.

However, Saturday's Daily Express newspaper quoted Shevchenko, who is currently sidelined by an ankle injury, as saying he would fight to keep his place.

'I am not worried about other players coming to the club,' said the 2004 European player of the year, who joined Chelsea from AC Milan for 30 million in 2006.

'I believe in my ability. I know that if I'm in good form I can be as good as any of the players here. I believe I can keep a place in this team.

'Before this injury I was feeling good,' the 31-year-old added.

'I was in good form and I was scoring goals. I want to carry on that form when I come back.

'New players only make the squad here stronger and that is good for the club... a club like Chelsea is always going to bring good players in. That is what you expect. It means everybody has to fight that bit harder to get into the team. I am the same.'




ESPNsoccernet: Help | Media Kit | Contact Us | Site Map | Tools | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information | Copyright ©2014 ESPN Internet Ventures.
Terms of Use (Updated 5/6/08), and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.