Thursday, January 10, 2008
Sunderland make improved offer for Royals' Hunt
Roy Keane's Sunderland have made an improved offer for Reading midfielder Stephen Hunt.
The offer is reported to be in region of £4.5million by Sky Sports News.
Sunderland have already seen one bid of £2.5million rejected for Hunt last week as Reading look to keep hold of the former Brentford ace.
Earlier Reading's director of football Nick Hammond said he was confident they can hold on to the Irish international winger .
The 26-year-old only signed a new two-and-a-half-year contract last summer but the club are ready to offer him an improved deal to keep him at the Madejski.
'It (Hunt's contract) is part of an on-going discussion. We did his contract in the summer and I said to him 'If you progress like you have done this season, we'll look at your contract again',' Hammond told the Reading Evening Post.
'That discussion was some weeks ago and we're in the middle of it. I'm sure we'll find a satisfactory conclusion for both us and Hunty.
'He is our player and he's done exceptionally well with us. I fully expect all our players to stay. No-one will be leaving Madejski Stadium unless it suits Reading that they do so.
'We are in control of the situation and there will be no developments unless we decide it's the right move for our club.'