Marseille have rejected an approach from Manchester City for striker Djibril Cisse.The former Liverpool forward has been linked with a return to the Premier League in the January transfer window after failing to secure a regular starting role with the French club this season. Marseille president Pape Diouf revealed on Tuesday that City had inquired about the services of Cisse but he had turned them down. 'He is wanted, that is for sure,' said Diouf. 'I myself have been approached by Manchester City (about Cisse) but I turned it down categorically.' Cisse has been forced to play second fiddle to Mamadou Niang up front for the French side this campaign and has scored just two goals in Ligue 1. But with Senegal forward Niang having left for the African Nations Cup, Cisse - who was on loan at Marseille last season - is set for an extended spell in the first team. Diouf insists the 26-year-old is going nowhere. 'I want to be clear - Djibril Cisse will not leave. He will stay at OM until the end of the season,' he added. 'I have always wanted to rediscover the Djibril that we signed, the efficient Djibril. 'I have never doubted his abilities, his qualities. He got through difficulties last year and I have no doubt that he will get out of them again this season. 'With everything that he has had to endure, read, see and hear, I understand that it piles the pressure on him to leave, having been contacted by an English club that is among the leading teams in their league. 'But when he and myself discussed this, he understood my position - he understood that I will not let him leave and he has no problem with me.' City refused to give any credence to Diouf's claims, with a spokesman saying: 'We don't comment on transfer speculation.' Despite what Diouf has said the French club are rumoured to be keen to offload Cisse and his availability has been made known to numerous top clubs around Europe. However, the player is believed to be keen to return to England - where he still has a house in the north west - and he has been linked with Bolton as a possible successor to fellow Frenchman Nicolas Anelka, who seems increasingly likely to join Chelsea after the Stamford Bridge side had a £12million bid rejected on Monday.