Wednesday, January 3, 2007
Barcelona 'turned Ronaldo down' in the summer
Cristiano Ronaldo's agent claims he offered the Portuguese star's services to
reigning European and Primera Liga champions Barcelona prior to last year's
Jorge Mendes made the admission in Spanish daily sports newspaper El Mundo
Deportivo on Wednesday, but said Barca turned the offer down as they were
planning a swoop for Arsenal striker Thierry Henry.
The agent added it is now highly unlikely the 21-year-old will leave
Manchester United after turning in a series of scintillating performances this
Mendes said: 'At this time it is impossible that he can go there (Barcelona)
because Manchester would never let him leave, not for all the money in the
'He is happy in the Premiership and he will not put pressure to force a
'I did offer the player to Barcelona some time ago (April-May 2006) but Barca
turned him down because they told me they were considering signing Henry.'
Ronaldo joined United from Sporting Lisbon in August 2003 and was strongly
linked with a move away from Old Trafford at the start of the current