Saturday, January 19, 2013
Arnold accused of breaching ban
By James Macsmith
Central Coast coach Graham Arnold could face further A-League sanctions over allegations he ignored a one-match ban by communicating with his bench during Saturday's 0-0 draw with Newcastle at Bluetongue Stadium.Arnold was accused of talking with one of his assistants on an earpiece and Jets coach Gary van Egmond said he attempted to raise the matter with the fourth official during the game but his efforts were rebuffed."The fourth official wouldn't talk to me, you are not allowed to talk to them but I would have thought he could have been a bit more switched on," van Egmond said."The rules are the rules ... if I was the fourth official and I saw one of the assistant coaches with an earpiece and a walkie talkie and you know the coach isn't actually on the bench what would you think?"I was just wondering who they were talking to. Apparently it was Adrian Pellegrino, so if that was the case that was the case."Arnold was serving a ban for abusing match officials during last week's draw with Melbourne Victory.An A-League official said an investigation will result if the incident is mentioned in the match report of the Match Commissioner or the fourth official or the Jets make an official complaint.Van Egmond said he was unlikely to make a complaint but was not happy with the way it was handled by match officials."If that's the way it is that's the way it is (talking to Pellegrino) ... there's nothing in it," he said."But again if you are going to make rules I thought the match official could have asked, maybe he did and that was that."The Mariners refuted the allegations. "I can put it to bed straight way," Moss said."I didn't hear from Arnie once during the game."He knows what the rules are, there was no communication at all. "I didn't know anything about that (a complaint)."