Harry Redknapp has expressed his delight at the capture of Loic Remy from Marseille, claiming the attacker opted for Queens Park Rangers because he wanted to play as a central striker.
• Baup: QPR move good for Remy
Remy, 26, was widely expected to join Newcastle before QPR swooped to seal a deal for a player Redknapp admits he has been tracking for a long time.
"I'm delighted to have finally got him to come to the club," Redknapp said. "He's a player that I've looked at and watched an awful lot over the last couple of years and when the opportunity came along we went for it.
"A week or so ago I didn't really feel that confident about it but the chairman wouldn't give up on it. Tony Fernandes did a fantastic job to get the boy here a lot of credit goes to him.
"I met him last year and spent four hours with him and got on great with him. I was looking to take him to Tottenham at that time. I felt we had a headstart with that, that I knew the player.
"I said to him I want to play him through the middle whereas I think he felt he might have been playing in a wide position had he gone elsewhere. We're delighted to have him."
Redknapp confirmed Remy will make his debut in the London derby at West Ham on Saturday, and insisted the prospect of playing Premier League football in the capital, not money, was the French international's main objective for signing for the struggling side after reports suggested QPR had tabled a £80,000-110,000 per-week deal .
"I haven't got a clue what his deal is I wasn't in on the meetings," he said. "It's not part of my job, I don't get involved. The chairman did the deal with him and as far as I know he wanted to come here, he wanted to come to London.
"It's a big signing for the club and a big transfer but if you look around the Premier League there's people spending more than this almost every week. We're pleased with what we've got. We've got real good value."