Print and go back ESPNsoccernet: Global Soccernet Print

Friday, November 16, 2012
Beckham denies A-League rumours

David Beckham has denied suggestions he could be bound for the A-League but Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop believes there's still hope the superstar could play in Australia.

The soccer world was buzzing on Friday after the FFA said representatives for Beckham had expressed an interest in the 37-year-old coming down under after his commitments with US club LA Galaxy were through next month.

But Beckham's management quickly shot that talk down, claiming their client had "absolutely no plans to play in Australia", before the man himself said on Saturday the rumours were untrue.

"Yeah (LA Galaxy coach Bruce Arena) told me that this morning," Beckham said at a press conference.

"That's the first I've heard of that this morning.

"But no, definitely not true."

Beckham's manager suggested the FFA might have been taken in by an unconnected agent attempting to act as a middle man and set up a deal.

But Gallop responded to those denials on radio on Saturday morning and said there was no need for A-League clubs to be disheartened.

The game's new boss said a similar situation arose earlier this year when Alessandro Del Piero's camp tried to distance themselves from speculation linking him to Sydney FC.

Speaking on Triple M's The Dead Set Legends, Gallop said it was natural for stars to want negotiations kept out of the limelight and urged A-League clubs to be proactive and persist with negotiations.

"A similar thing happened with Del Piero in terms of the contact and, as we all know, that came to be," Gallop said.

"So let's just see how this one plays out. It's certainly an exciting proposition - no one would deny that.

"We're not counting our chickens in relation to this ... but obviously people would prefer negotiations to happen behind closed doors.

"At the mere mention of Beckham's name, it did leak out and there's been a mushroom of interest.

"There would have to be a fair few hoops that would have to be jumped through and getting a deal with one of the clubs is the first step.

"There's definitely been some contact made and let's just see where it gets to."

Gallop said clubs needed to take the initiative with negotiations and not rely on the FFA and said patience would be needed.

"I think the connection points now are going to be between the A-League clubs that are interested and Beckham's management, so we'll just have to let that dialogue happen.

"But the timing is pretty good in terms of him being able to come in on a guest stint from the middle of January for 10 games.

"I think it's a bit of a wait-and-see situation. Of course, it would be fantastic but let's not get ahead of ourselves at this point."




ESPNsoccernet: Help | Media Kit | Contact Us | Site Map | Tools | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information | Copyright ©2014 ESPN Internet Ventures.
Terms of Use (Updated 5/6/08), and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.