Print and go back ESPNsoccernet: null Soccernet Print

Thursday, October 18, 2012
John Terry opts against appeal

Press Association

Chelsea defender John Terry has decided not to appeal a four-match ban and fine of 220,000 pounds ($354,000) for racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand.

Terry had until noon ET Thursday to contest the sanction issued by an independent Football Association regulatory commission.

"After careful consideration, I have decided not to appeal against the FA judgment," Terry said in a statement released via his representatives Elite Management. "I want to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for the language I used in the game against Queens Park Rangers last October.

"Although I'm disappointed with the FA judgment, I accept that the language I used, regardless of the context, is not acceptable on the football field or indeed in any walk of life," he said.

"As I stated in the criminal case, with the benefit of hindsight my language was clearly not an appropriate reaction to the situation for someone in my position.

"My response was below the level expected by Chelsea Football Club, and by me, and it will not happen again.

"Looking forward, I will continue to do my part in assisting the club to remove all types of discriminatory behavior from football. I am extremely grateful for the consistent support of Chelsea FC, the fans and my family."

Terry always has maintained that he was merely repeating an accusation levelled at him by Ferdinand, but the commission found that his words were used as an insult.

Chelsea came under fire Thursday for keeping their punishment of Terry secret. The club is understood to have handed Terry a further fine but he will remain as club captain and will not have any further suspension.

Lord Herman Ouseley, chairman of football's equality group Kick It Out, said that stance could damage Chelsea in the eyes of those people who had been waiting many months to see how the club handled the case.

"I believe Chelsea need to be open about the action they have taken," Ouseley said. "A lot of people will be dissatisfied that Chelsea have not been much more up front about the standards they set and the values they have. If they are not prepared to say, it will further damage the trust of those people who still have suspicions about Chelsea's sincerity in dealing this matter. I do welcome what they have said, but they need to be saying more and doing more if they are going to win back the confidence of people who have lost trust in them rather than to sit back and be silent."




ESPNsoccernet: Help | Media Kit | Contact Us | Site Map | Tools | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information | Copyright ©2014 ESPN Internet Ventures.
Terms of Use (Updated 5/6/08), and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.