Print and go back ESPNsoccernet: England Soccernet Print

Friday, September 28, 2012
Anton Ferdinand: 'Footage don't lie'

ESPN staff

Anton Ferdinand has reacted to the FA's guilty verdict against John Terry by tweeting: "Footage don't lie."

An FA panel found Chelsea captain Terry guilty of racially abusing QPR's Ferdinand during a televised match at Loftus Road in October.

Terry, 31, was banned for four games and fined 220,000. He had denied the charge against him and may appeal against the verdict.

In July, a court found him not guilty of racially abusing Ferdinand. The prosecution had been unable to prove that he had called Ferdinand a "f****** black c***'' as an insult. He claimed to have been repeating words he thought Ferdinand had accused him of saying.

On Friday, Ferdinand used Twitter to respond to abuse he claimed to have received since the verdict against Terry.

He wrote: "On a serious note, people need 2 read the facts before they send stupid tweets 2 me with liar and grass in it. Footage don't lie."

Meanwhile, Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has said he believes Terry could consider himself lucky to have only been banned for four matches.

Last season, the Liverpool striker Luis Suarez was banned for eight games after being found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra during a match.

Ferguson said: "The fact he got a four-game ban... he may consider that is quite lenient, considering Luis Suarez got eight. It is time to move on, and so should the game. There is a danger of this resurrecting itself because it has gone on for so long."

Speaking to TalkSPORT, former Chelsea winger Clive Walker said: "John Terry probably guessed that he was going to get something [in the way of punishment] - he just probably didn't know how much. Looking at it, he'd probably say that's probably about fair."

Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo would only confirm that Terry was fit and available for his side's game at Arsenal on Saturday, but would not say whether he would start.

Di Matteo told reporters he had spoken to Terry and added: "He's a professional player. He's a senior player as well. He's got all the experience in the world."

He said he believed the case had dragged on for too long, explaining: "Everybody would have like it to be a bit quicker."




ESPNsoccernet: Help | Media Kit | Contact Us | Site Map | Tools | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information | Copyright ©2014 ESPN Internet Ventures.
Terms of Use (Updated 5/6/08), and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.