Print and go back ESPNsoccernet: England Soccernet Print

Tuesday, September 25, 2012
Wilkins ready to support JT at hearing

Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

Ray Wilkins has told ESPN that he is "on standby" to give evidence in the John Terry case but as yet has not been asked by the player's legal team to attend the FA disciplinary hearing.

• Terry better off without England
• Roy disappointed by JT retirement
• Harris: Terry jumped
• Gallery: Terry's England career Photo Gallery

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck and England left-back Ashley Cole are attending the FA hearing, which relates to allegations Terry used racist language towards Anton Ferdinand during the QPR versus Chelsea match on October 23, 2011.

The centre-back was cleared of the racism charge in court earlier this summer, but, should he be found guilty by the FA in this week's hearing, Terry could face a lengthy ban.

On Sunday night, the Englishman announced his retirement from international football, after claiming the FA has made his position "untenable".

Wilkins told ESPN: "I called John immediately after his decision to resign from the England team to see how he is. We didn't talk about my attendance at the FA hearing, but I am there for him if he needs me.

"I gave evidence on his behalf at the magistrates' court and I would do so again at the FA hearing, if they wish me to."




ESPNsoccernet: Help | Media Kit | Contact Us | Site Map | Tools | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information | Copyright ©2014 ESPN Internet Ventures.
Terms of Use (Updated 5/6/08), and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.