QPR chief executive Phillip Beard has told ESPN that Mark Hughes is almost certain to bring in more new faces in January despite a major spending spree during the summer transfer window.
• Train: Granero joins latest trend
• Hughes questions handshake
Chelsea visit Loftus Road on Saturday as the side at the top of the table take on the one rooted to the bottom. Although the Rs have welcomed a number of big-name signings including Julio Cesar and Esteban Granero in recent weeks, they have only registered one point so far this season and Beard believes there will be no end to spending in the next transfer window as the club look to retain their top-flight status.
With Premier League clubs set to share a 75% hike in TV revenues from next season, there is a feeling that January will see the biggest winter outlay on record as clubs scramble to survive in order to get their share of the cash pot.
Beard told ESPN: "We want to stay in the Premier League, but we appreciate that we have no right to survival just because we have spent more money. But if you do spend more money on players than you have a better chance."
At a time when the Premier League owners are seeking greater controls on players' wages, QPR make no apologies for their spending policy under Hughes.
"I think we have done some good business in the transfer window this summer, but it is not about buying in one window, we might need to continue to buy in two or three windows, as we look to the medium and long term," Beard said.
"Clearly though the short term is our priority and that is staying and consolidating our position in the Premier League. We might have bought virtually an entire team, but the fees have been relatively low, and we moved 17 players out.
"Norwich brought in nine while others have bought seven or eight players. On paper we have a good squad, good depth, quality and experience, and we can only hope that that is good enough to ensure we stay up."