Print and go back ESPNsoccernet: null Soccernet Print

Thursday, August 30, 2012
Swansea, City agree to Scott Sinclair fee

Press Association

Swansea City is set to lose Scott Sinclair to Manchester City but manager Michael Laudrup believes the club will pull off a major coup with the signing of his replacement, Pablo Hernandez from Valencia.

Swansea have agreed a fee of 6.2 million pounds ($9.8 million) with the Premier League champions for the wide man, rising to 8 million pounds ($12.6 million) with add-ons.

With that deal set to go through after Sinclair informed Swansea he would not sign a new deal at the Liberty Stadium, the club moved to finally agree on a 5.5 million pound ($8.7 million) deal for Spain international Hernandez.

Laudrup's pursuit of the 27-year-old Hernandez has been a lengthy one, and the Dane had appeared to be exasperated as Valencia continually upped the asking price for a player he previously worked with at Getafe.

Swansea had seen offers of 4 million ($6.3 million) and 5.1 million pounds ($8 million) rejected, but a third and final bid was accepted by the La Liga club.

Hernandez had spoken of his desire to be reunited with Laudrup and was left out of Valencia's squad for their opening two games of the season.

And the 23-year-old will now travel to south Wales to discuss personal terms and undergo a physical before Friday night's transfer deadline.

"I managed Pablo in Getafe, he did fantastic for us. He did so well and went back to Valencia, who are the equivalent in Spain of Arsenal over here," Laudrup said.

"He specifically wanted to come here. The other players who have come here have come from smaller clubs, and here is a player from the third biggest club in Spain and he wants to come here. It is great for us," he said.

Laudrup magnanimously wished Sinclair all the best with his switch to City.

The Dane believes Swansea had little option but to let the player go once he had his heart set on a move.

Many believe Sinclair may struggle to get regular playing time at the Etihad Stadium, and Laudrup admits it will be a "difficult" test for the former Chelsea player.

"Scott is going to a huge club with a lot of great players," he said. "He has a lot of quality but he will have to fight for his place in the first 11.

"But I wish him the best and I think it was best for him to move as he had made up his mind, and if you have a player like that it is better to let him go if the figures are OK for the club."

A move for Middlesbrough's Marvin Emnes now appears less likely, but Laudrup did confirm midfielder Andrea Orlandi and full back Fede Bessone are set to complete permanent moves to Brighton and Swindon, respectively.




ESPNsoccernet: Help | Media Kit | Contact Us | Site Map | Tools | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information | Copyright ©2014 ESPN Internet Ventures.
Terms of Use (Updated 5/6/08), and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.