Manchester United on Friday rejected an approach from Chelsea for Mexican striker Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez, according to ESPNFC reporter Miguel Delaney in London.
Although Chelsea did not put in an official cash offer, it made an inquiry to United, based on the team's wealth of forwards in the wake of its signing of Robin Van Persie earlier this week.
Chelsea lacks options up front after the departure of Didier Drogba. Fernando Torres is the only true striker in Roberto Di Matteo's squad, making the signing of a back-up forward for an anticipated 4-2-3-1 formation essential. Their inquiry, however, was quickly turned away by United.
Chelsea's approach was also prompted by the fact there had already been some doubt about Hernandez's Old Trafford future given Van Persie's arrival and the likelihood of less playing time, with Aston Villa recently rumoured to be one potential destination. Sir Alex Ferguson, however, made a point of mentioning the Mexican's name when talking about his striking options after the signing of Van Persie.
"My situation now is I have the possibility that I can play (Wayne) Rooney through, Van Persie through, Chicharito through and I've got Danny Welbeck, who can play through. ... We also have young Federico Macheda, who is only 20 years old and still improving," Ferguson said.
For his part, Hernandez was quoted recently as saying "there are parts of your life when you're going to have competition. Having that competition in the team can be good. I will be ready when the manager wants me to play." Certainly, it seems that the manager wants him to stay.
United is prepared to sell one of its strikers: Dimitar Berbatov. The Bulgarian was notably not mentioned in Ferguson's news conference and the club have been trying to find a buyer all summer. So far, though, no serious interest has been forthcoming.
Hernandez's agent said the Mexico national team star is not looking to switch clubs.
"Incorporating van Persie on the team reinforces the strikeforce. There will be more internal competition and Javier is a professional and he knows he will have to face this situation," his agent, Eduardo Hernandez, told the Mexican newspaper, El Universal Thursday. "We are not looking to leave, unless the club tells us otherwise, a situation we have not received from their side. There is a contract and Javier will look to meet it. Manchester's people are honorable and they have told us nothing to the contrary."