The agent of Brazil star Lucas Moura believes that Manchester United will not raise their bid for his client, leaving any deal in tatters.
• Player profile: Lucas Moura
• Transfer Blog: Latest news
Lucas, 19, was thought to be close to a switch from Sao Paulo to the Red Devils, but the two clubs have failed to agree on a fee after Manchester United's €35 million bid was rejected.
Now, with Sao Paulo reported to have changed their mind over a sale should they receive an increased bid, agent Wagner Ribeiro has claimed that the Premier League side have reached their limit for Lucas and a deal will not take place.
"They have reached their limit," Ribeiro told UOL. "Lucas Moura won't leave. He is happy at Sao Paulo. We have to forget this subject. There is no possibility he leaves now.
"Manchester United made an offer, which was rejected and they won't make another one as they have reached their limit."
For Sao Paulo, the decision not to sell represents a major financial gamble. Lucas' economic rights are currently 80% owned by the club, with the player retaining the remaining 20%, but from August 1 that ownership share will fall by 10% under the terms of his contract.
If a deal cannot be struck by Tuesday next week, Sao Paulo risk losing nearly €4 million off any equivalent value transfer, with many believing that this financial reality will see further developments made in the coming days.