Print and go back ESPNsoccernet: Transfers Soccernet Print

Monday, July 2, 2012
De Jong set to leave Twente

ESPN staff

FC Twente striker Luuk De Jong is set to exit De Grolsch Veste this summer, according to the player's agent, as Newcastle and Borussia Monchengladbach continue to chase his signature.

• McClaren issues De Jong warning

De Jong has been linked to a move to the Premier League following an impressive 2011-12 Eredivisie season, in which he scored 25 goals in 32 appearances.

Reports in the English press claim Newcastle officials are in the Netherlands to negotiate a transfer fee, and De Jong's agent, Louis Laros, says the 21-year-old will indeed move in the near future.

"Luuk has taken the decision to move on," Laros told TC Tubantia. "He wants to develop as a player in a bigger league.

"The important thing for us is the development of Luuk. Not the money, but the way of playing and the amount of playing time he will get will be decisive.

"Luuk scored 25 goals in the Dutch league last season, how many more does he need to score? 35?"

Twente boss Steve McClaren previously stated it will take an "absurd" bid to prise the striker from the club, but De Jong's agent insists the player will be pushing to exit the club.

"Luuk is still a Twente player," Laros told Voetbal International. "If the right club comes along then he will happily make the move.

"The club doesn't need to be a top club, but a good club in a big league where Luuk can play regularly and develop as a player."




ESPNsoccernet: Help | Media Kit | Contact Us | Site Map | Tools | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information | Copyright ©2014 ESPN Internet Ventures.
Terms of Use (Updated 5/6/08), and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.