Print and go back ESPNsoccernet: England Soccernet Print

Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Kean stays at Blackburn

ESPN staff

Blackburn boss Steve Kean has been told his job is safe despite the club's relegation from the Premier League - but the pressure is on to start well in the Championship.

Speculation earlier in the summer suggested Kean, who is not a popular figure among Blackburn fans for understandable reasons with their 11-year stay in the top flight at an end, would either be sacked or moved into another position at the club.

But the club's new director of football, Shebby Singh, says Kean will be given funds to strengthen the squad ahead of the new season and will be going nowhere - for now.

Singh told Sky Sports News: "Steve has been in this sort of situation before in the Championship when he was [assistant coach] at Fulham and he got them promoted.

"We have got to evaluate situations as they come along rather than set a certain standard and say 'you have failed to meet that'. While not lowering our standards we need to look at the other qualities that Steve has got. Everybody starts with a clean slate but having said that everybody is on trial.

"As far as I am aware and as far as I know there are funds available to bring in the right sort of characters and the players with the right sort of characteristics for the team."




ESPNsoccernet: Help | Media Kit | Contact Us | Site Map | Tools | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information | Copyright ©2014 ESPN Internet Ventures.
Terms of Use (Updated 5/6/08), and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.