Roberto Martinez will announce whether he will become the next Liverpool manager at a press conference on Tuesday, according to widespread reports.
• Caldwell: Martinez deserves chance
• Martinez wants Reds assurances
• Gerrard: I'd support Martinez
Martinez, the current Wigan boss, met with Liverpool majority owner John W Henry in Miami last week, as the Reds board interviews candidates to replace Kenny Dalglish as the club's manager.
Henry is believed to have outlined to Martinez the planned management structure at Anfield, with the club also expected to hire a new director of football to help revitalise Liverpool's process of identifying and purchasing new players.
Martinez, who has enjoyed greater control over first-team affairs at the DW Stadium, is believed to be relishing the challenge he would face at the 18-time league champions, although his chairman at Wigan, Dave Whelan, has expressed his doubts about whether the Spaniard would be prepared to work with less control under a director of football.
And it now seems Martinez will now clarify his future on Tuesday, following further talks with the Liverpool hierarchy.
Whelan said last week that he will not stand in Martinez's way if he wants to take the Liverpool job.
"Roberto has had a constructive meeting with Liverpool," Whelan told ESPN last week. "He returns to London on Tuesday, when he will have further talks with Liverpool and when a decision will be made.
"There was no other manager mentioned so I imagine they want Roberto. I don't want to lose him, but I made him a promise when he first joined that, if a big club came in for him, I'd let him go, and I will honour that promise."
Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers has also been linked with the manager's job, while Liverpool are believed to have launched a late bid for Pep Guardiola - who is also sought after by Chelsea.
Meanwhile, Louis van Gaal remains the front-runner for the director of football position on Merseyside.