Fiorentina midfielder Riccardo Montolivo will join AC Milan this summer, Rossoneri coach Massimiliano Allegri has confirmed.
• Van Bommel returning to PSV
• Nesta to leave Milan
Montolivo, 27, has long been linked with a move to Milan and hinted in March that he favoured a switch to the San Siro when his contract runs out this summer.
With Milan losing out to Juventus in the race for the Scudetto last week, Allegri has been quick to announce that he plans to revamp the squad, with veterans Alessandro Nesta, Filipo Inzaghi, Gennaro Gattuso and Mark van Bommel among those already confirmed to be leaving, with Clarence Seedorf also expected to join them.
Montolivo, who has previously been described by Allegri as "one for the big stages, one of the best Italian midfielders blessed with great skills and athleticism", would certainly help fill the void left by Van Bommel and Gattuso, providing some much-needed balance to Milan's midfield as they look to overhaul Juventus in 2012-13.
"Next season we will have Montolivo who is a very good player, very technical," Allegri said. "Milan must remain competitive next season, we must continue the work we started last year. We will start with great enthusiasm."
Allegri paid tribute to his departing stars ahead of Milan's final Serie A game of the season, at home to Novara on Sunday.
"It's an important day because there are players leaving who have made history for Milan, who have won a lot," Allegri said. "They are real men who gave me a big hand when I arrived.
"They leave AC Milan as players who were part of a great team, but in life we must look ahead. Tomorrow there will be great sadness in saluting these great champions."