Monday, April 30, 2012
Victory's coach dumps Covic, Brebner
Reigning club player of the year Ante Covic and dual championship-winning midfielder Grant Brebner have not been offered new contracts by incoming Melbourne Victory A-League coach Ange Postecoglou.The veteran duo were moved on less than a week after Postecoglou was named as the Victory's fourth coach in little more than 12 months.Goalkeeper Covic was disappointed at being dumped, especially after winning the Victory Medal as the club's best player in 2011-12 - his first and only season with the club.But with fellow shot-stoppers Tando Velaphi and Lawrence Thomas already contracted for next season, the 36-year-old Covic was the one to go."I was pretty happy with my season last year and was hopeful of getting another contract, but sometimes things don't work out that way in football," Covic said.Brebner joined the Victory from Scottish side Dundee United six years ago and was a key member of the teams which won the premiership/championship doubles in 2006-07 and 2008-09."When I first came out from Scotland, it was a bit of a step into the unknown but, six years down the path, I've enjoyed plenty of success here and I'm even an Australian citizen now, so it's been a great experience," he said.Postecoglou said he was keen for the Victory's marquee player Harry Kewell to remain with the club for the final two years of his contract.