Hamburg have objected to an eight-game suspension imposed on their striker Paolo Guerrero for his red card in Saturday's 4-0 defeat to Stuttgart.
• Hamburg 0-4 Stuttgart
The German Football Association (DFB) has recommended the lengthy ban, which is not yet confirmed since the club are to appeal the decision, for serious violent conduct after Guerrero scythed down Stuttgart goalkeeper Sven Ulreich from behind.
Although they accepted Guerrero had been in the wrong, his club were not willing to accept that he will be unavailable until the last two games of the season.
"Of course we had expected it would come to a significant ban since it was a fully deserved sending off for Guerrero, but we feel that these games are a bit disproportionate, having read the justification," Hamburg president Carl-Edgar Jarchow said on NDR radio. "We are therefore appealing the decision."
The DFB will now assess Hamburg's appeal before making a final decision before the next round of Bundesliga matches at the weekend.
Guerrero has already been punished by his club after meeting with coach Thorsten Fink and director of sport Frank Arnesen on Sunday. However, Arnesen feels Guerrero is being made an example of.
"I am very disappointed about this judgment," he said. "I am not condoning the foul, but when I compare it to other fouls, then I would never have expected such a harsh punishment."