Sunderland news

Bruce targets another striker

August 30, 2011
By ESPNsoccernet staff

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce says that a striker is the club's top priority before the transfer window closes.

Steve Bruce
PA PhotosSteve Bruce: Ex-Sunderland boss is a free agent

Despite having signed ten new players for around £30 million already this summer, including strikers Connor Wickham and Ji Dong-won, Bruce is adamant that the club still haven't fully recovered from the exit of Darren Bent and will be looking at a number of players, reported to include Wolfsburg's Patrick Helmes, Arsenal's Nicklas Bendtner and Manchester City's Craig Bellamy.

Having seen last year's loan star Danny Welbeck establish himself at Manchester United, another move for a player on loan is possible and Bruce is holding out hope.

"We've brought in Ji and Wickham as players for the future," said Bruce. "We've definitely got two players of potential there but we won't see the best of either of them for a year to 18 months.

"In the meantime we need a bit extra up front. If we're honest we've been a bit lacking in that department since Darren Bent left for Aston Villa last January so we'll do all we can to bring someone in by Wednesday night. We'll just have to try our best and see if it's possible."

• Catch action from every Barclays Premier League match on your mobile for FREE on the enhanced ESPN Goals app (UK only).