French Ligue 1 review

PSG still seeking first win

August 13, 2011

Toulouse, Caen and St Etienne all made it two wins from two in Ligue 1 on Saturday, but big-spending Paris St Germain were still looking for their first victory after being held to a 1-1 draw at Rennes.

PSG goalscorer Kevin Gameiro battles with Rennes defender Kevin Theophile Catherine
APPSG goalscorer Kevin Gameiro battles with Rennes defender Kevin Theophile Catherine

Toulouse scored twice in the final 20 minutes, through Umut Bulut and a Paulo Machado penalty, to see off top-flight new boys Dijon 2-0.

Two former Sochaux players returned to haunt the Montbeliard side as Caen sealed a 2-1 victory at Stade Auguste Bonal.

Romain Hamouma, who spent five years with Sochaux as a youth-team player, gave the visitors a first-half lead, before Pierre Alain-Frau - who made more than 200 appearances for Les Lionceaux - doubled the advantage. Ryad Boudebouz pulled a goal back three minutes into stoppage time, but the hosts were unable to find an equaliser.

Sylvain Marchal fired home from close range three minutes from time to give St Etienne a richly-deserved 1-0 victory over Nancy at the Stade Geoffroy-Guichard.

The leading trio found themselves five points clear of PSG, whose stuttering start to the league campaign - following their summer takeover by Qatar Sports Investments - continued.

The capital club went down 1-0 at Lorient in their Ligue 1 opener last Saturday and fared only slightly better tonight as Jonathan Pitroipa's 88th-minute leveller for Rennes cancelled out Kevin Gameiro's 73rd-minute strike.

Elsewhere, Lisandro Lopez struck a late equaliser for Lyon to deny newly-promoted Ajaccio an unlikely victory at the Stade Gerland. Lisandro netted seven minutes from time to earn Les Gones a 1-1 result after a 59th-minute goal from Frederic Sammaritano had put the visitors ahead against the run of play.

A stoppage-time goal from Henrique also salvaged a 1-1 draw for 10-man Bordeaux at the Stade du Moustoir after Yann Jouffre's 82nd-minute strike appeared to have earned Lorient their second win in as many games.

Les Girondins were a man down for the final 11 minutes following the dismissal of Gregory Sertic for a second bookable offence.