Wigan winger wanted

Villa-target N'Zogbia won't strike

July 23, 2011
By ESPN staff

Charles N'Zogbia has confessed he wants to leave Wigan, but he will not strike in order to force a move to Aston Villa.

GettyImagesCharles N'Zogbia is an important player for Wigan

• Darren Bent wants N'Zogbia
• Aston Villa turn to N'Zogbia

N'Zogbia has often been painted as a difficult player to deal with, thanks in part to Birmingham's claims that he demanded too much money during negotiations over a transfer last year. However, the France international insists he will not hold Wigan to ransom by withholding his services.

"Me, strike? Not at all," said N'Zogbia. "Come and see me at Wigan, you will see that I train every day."

Villa reportedly made an offer in the region of £9 million for N'Zogbia, but Wigan chairman Dave Whelan is holding out for £10 million. Whelan's resistance could lead to N'Zogbia being priced out of a move, but the left winger is understanding of the situation.

"If they want any more it is for the club to decide. It is not for me to demand a transfer," N'Zogbia said. "There was an offer from Villa, which Wigan refused. I have not been offered a contract extension by the club."

Asked to confirm that he intends to leave the DW Stadium, N'Zogbia commented: "It has been two and a half years. I have given enough."