Italian Serie A

Eto'o rules out Inter exit

July 10, 2011
By ESPNsoccernet staff

Manchester City transfer target Samuel Eto'o has committed his future to Inter Milan.

Samuel Eto'o
PA PhotosSamuel Eto'o is happy at Inter

Eto'o hinted last month that he would like to test himself in the English Premier League but the Cameroon striker now insists he intends to stay in Italy.

"The newspapers say I'm leaving Inter? I spoke with president Moratti right after the Copa Italia we won against Palermo and when the president speaks, I can only say yes," the former Barcelona star told Inter Channel.

Eto'o, 30, was linked with a move away from Inter after a disappointing season in which the club replaced manager Rafa Benitez with Leonardo and failed to defend their Serie A and Champions League titles.

However, the Inter star joined his team-mates for pre-season training this weekend and spoke of his excitement for the coming campaign under new coach Gian Piero Gasperini after a good work out.

"It went pretty well. It was quite hot, but never as bad as in Milan right now. I am in good shape and we have the right atmosphere to start a difficult season," Eto'o said. "We are all really eager to repay the enthusiasm of the fans by winning on the pitch."

Meanwhile, the agent of Santos full-back Jonathan says transfer talks with Inter are virtually complete.

"Negotiations are at an advanced stage. He hasn't signed yet, but I think the talks are 95% completed," agent Tadic told FcInterNews. "Jonathan will be in Italy between Monday and Tuesday to have his medical and sign the contract with Inter."