Premier League news

Ancelotti to take a year out

June 6, 2011
By ESPNsoccernet staff

Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed he will take a one-year sabbatical from coaching after being dismissed by Chelsea last month.

Carlo Ancelotti
GettyImagesCarlo Ancelotti: Sacked after two years in charge

Ancelotti had one year left on his contract with the Blues but was sacked on the final day of the campaign after two seasons in charge.

Ancelotti has been linked with the coaching position of newly-promoted QPR, who are managed by Neil Warnock, as well as the vacancies at Fulham and Aston Villa. He has also been a reported target of Serie A club Roma, for whom he enjoyed great success as a player.

''I am in no hurry to coach and I don't need to,'' Ancelotti told Italian newspaper La Stampa. ''I have not been contacted by any club in England and I have not spoken to Roma. It is all fantasy.

''I have enjoyed this experience (of coaching in England). I will return to London to organise my life. Besides a six-month break, I have been coaching non-stop since 1995. I will take a year off and look around, study how my colleagues work.''

Ancelotti enjoyed a successful playing career at Roma between 1979 and 1987 and has never hidden his wish to guide the capital city club in the future.

''I have always said and I reiterate it that one day I will coach Roma, but it's still early,'' he said.

Ancelotti led Chelsea to the Premier League and FA Cup double in his first season in charge but finished trophyless at the end of the 2010-11 campaign.