Norwich city news

Lambert close to new Canaries deal

May 23, 2011

Norwich are confident manager Paul Lambert will agree a new contract this week. The Canaries are set to return to the Premier League for the first time since 2005 after securing back-to-back promotions under Lambert, who took charge in August 2009 with the Norfolk club near the foot of League One.

Paul Lambert
GettyImagesPaul Lambert achieved back-to-back promotions

The 41-year-old Scot - who attracted an official approach from Burnley earlier in the season and is a reported target for managerless West Ham - has been in lengthy discussions with the board over improvements to his rolling 12-month deal.

Norwich deputy chairman Michael Foulger revealed those negotiations are now close to a satisfactory competition.

Foulger told BBC Radio Norfolk: "Can I just say there'll be some great news regarding the manager situation that we will hope to announce this week.

"This success to me rates as the very best in my time as a board director.

"We don't have any superstars, but what we did have was a fantastic group with a tremendous team spirit and those lads would run through a brick wall for the manager.''

Lambert has been promised all of the £37 million windfall from television income to help strengthen the squad to avoid a swift return to the Championship.

The former Borussia Dortmund Champions League winner continues to have strong contacts in Germany and is said to be keen to bring veteran striker Miroslav Klose to Carrow Road on a free transfer once his deal with Bayern Munich expires.