Liverpool news

Henry: No Dalglish deal yet

March 15, 2011
By ESPN staff

Liverpool owner John W Henry has revealed the club have not started contract discussions with Kenny Dalglish, but have set a date to discuss the Scot's future as manager.

Kenny Dalglish
GettyImagesKenny Dalglish has started well at Anfield.

The takeover of Liverpool Football Club by New England Sports Ventures has prompted a return to old ways at Anfield, with the club now making a sustained effort to conduct its business behind closed doors until any formal announcements can be made. Such demeanour was employed over the failed Charlie Adam approach in the January transfer window, and now a similar approach will be taken over the future of Dalglish.

A Kop idol from his previous years as player and manager, Dalglish has inspired a turnaround in fortunes since taking over from Roy Hodgson earlier in the season, leading Liverpool to sixth in the table.

Victories over Chelsea and Manchester United, produced largely without the aid of £35 million signing Andy Carroll, have provided hope for the future, while fellow new capture Luis Suarez is already looking like a shrewd purchase.

Liverpool's owners have always said they will take time to ensure they pick the best man to lead the club forward in the future, with Dalglish's current deal only keeping him in the manager's job until the end of the current campaign. Henry would not confirm if the Scot had done enough to earn a permanent contract and rejected claims that a deal had already been offered.

"The only discussion we've had has been with Kenny and that was solely concerning when we should begin discussions," Henry said in the Telegraph.

"I wouldn't anticipate any further comments until such discussions have commenced and we have something to announce. Any reports until then are purely speculation."

Jurgen Klopp of Borussia Dortmund, Porto's Andre Villas-Boas and Didier Deschamps of Marseille have all been linked as alternative options for the Anfield role.