Blackburn news

Samba signs new deal with Blackburn

February 2, 2011

Blackburn captain Christopher Samba has committed his future to the club by signing a new contract which will keep him at Ewood Park until the summer of 2015.

Chris Samba Blackburn
GettyImagesChris Samba handed in a transfer request, but has opted to stay.

There had been speculation about the centre-back after he suggested to the French press last month that he was looking to move and reportedly handed in a transfer request after the sacking of former boss Sam Allardyce.

However, Samba has ended any doubts over his future by agreeing an extension to his current deal.

''This is more great news for us,'' Rovers manager Steve Kean said. ''Chris is a major part of the picture at Rovers and his form has created a lot of interest from around the football world.

''The fact that he wants to be part of what we are trying to build here is further evidence of the exciting times that lie ahead.''

Samba has followed Ryan Nelsen, from whom he took over the armband this season, Michel Salgado and Jason Roberts in agreeing extended contracts with the club.

''It is a good feeling. We have been in discussions for a little time and I needed a couple of answers,'' the defender said. ''But the way we have played and the players the manager has brought in means we are not far off being a top club in the league.

''I'm in a period of my career where I need to make important choices, I've made the choice to take the challenge to try and take the club as high as possible, to maintain that position and to be recognised as one of the top clubs in the country.''