Euro 2012

Serbia request to play abandoned Italy match

October 15, 2010

Serbia will seek to play their abandoned Euro 2012 qualifier against Italy after it was called off after just six minutes because of violent behaviour in the visitors' section at Genoa's Stadio Luigi Ferraris.

Serbian Football Association president Tomislav Karadzic said in Belgrade on Friday that the body will ask UEFA to have the game staged again. He said: "We'll ask for match to be replayed. That would be (in the spirit of) fair play. But, currently, those are just our wishes.''

Italy Football Federation president Giancarlo Abete says his federation should not share in the blame for what happened on Tuesday.

"The FIGC believes that it has fully carried out its duty,'' said Abete, who was with Italy's under-21 team on Tuesday. "At the Ferraris stadium, there had already been played Champions League and Europa League games, it's a stadium where two high level teams like Genoa and Sampdoria play and prior to Tuesday night's game, the problem was the state of the pitch - not the safety issue.''

UEFA have opened an investigation this week and their control and disciplinary body is set to hear the case on October 28.

"We have sent UEFA the video of what happened,'' said Abete. "The European governing body could ask the two federations for a report that, alongside the report of the referee and of the UEFA delegate, will form the basis of the decision that will have to be taken by the disciplinary commission.

"We will follow the situation with a lot of attention but there's no hurry because there are no games scheduled in the near future - the closest one is a friendly with Romania in November.''