Wales news

Wales caretaker Flynn would welcome back Giggs

September 13, 2010

Brian Flynn admits he may call upon several players, including Manchester United winger Ryan Giggs, to come out of retirement for Wales after he was appointed interim manager on Monday.

Brian Flynn
GettyImagesBrian Flynn has a wealth of experience

The Football Association of Wales (FAW) confirmed that Flynn had been appointed as John Toshack's successor for the country's next two qualifiers - against Bulgaria and Switzerland next month.

The 54-year-old former Wrexham boss, who has impressed since taking charge of Wales' youth sides in 2004, has made it clear that he wants the job on a permanent basis despite the likes of Chris Coleman, Sven-Goran Eriksson and Martin O'Neill also being linked with the position.

Giggs had also been touted as a possible replacement for Toshack before he was ruled out by United manager Sir Alex Ferguson. The veteran winger, who retired from international career in 2007, is just one of a few players who called time on their Wales careers while Toshack was in charge.

Simon Davies, Carl Fletcher, Jason Koumas and Robbie Savage also pulled the plug on their Wales careers during the tenure of Toshack, who refused to recall Giggs despite the Welshman admitting that he would consider playing for his country again.

When asked whether he would consider recalling Giggs for next month's qualifiers, Flynn said: "My telephone is always on, my door is always open, age is no barrier to me. Young or old.

"I remember when I was at Wrexham and we were second in the league and with 10 games to go I needed something a little bit special to happen and I signed a 38-year-old Jimmy Chase from Halifax Town in the Conference.

"He had been there, done it with Liverpool. He came and he played well and got us over the line. That was one of my best signings I ever made."

Flynn's first task as caretaker boss will be to turn the country's Euro 2012 qualifying around after the opening defeat in Montenegro which prompted Toshack's departure.

The Welsh will first take on Bulgaria in Cardiff next month before travelling to Basle for a tricky tie against Switzerland.

The FAW will decide after those two qualifiers whether to give Flynn the job on a permanent basis.

The former Wales captain, who won 66 caps as a player, is determined to impress his employers over the next month.

He said: "I'm proud and privileged to have been given this position. It's initially for two games and then there will be interviews for the position so I'm determined to get two good results to help me get the job full-time.

"I am very, very hungry to succeed to help Welsh football in the short-term, by qualifying for Euro 2012, and in the long-term. John set the ball rolling in terms of getting young people into the side. That plan will continue to work under me for the next two games.

"What we need to do is realise our potential and we have huge potential in the squad. We have to get them to perform and get the right results."

He hopes that his six-year spell in charge of the Under-17, 19 and 21 sides, will help his cause.

"I will have to impress the FAW that I am the right man. That will be done in many ways," said Flynn, who gained respect for guiding the Under-21s to the UEFA Championship play-offs for two successive campaigns.

"My record for the last six years will stand me in good stead. I have worked here for six years so they know how I work and what my standards are. They know me inside out and I know everything about them too. It works both ways."

Flynn is convinced that Wales could have six points in their group by the time they face England in their fourth fixture in March.

"We need to gain momentum from our next two games," Flynn continued. "They are two games that we can lift spirits and they are games that I know, in my heart, we can win."