England news

Capello performs U-turn over Beckham retirement

August 29, 2010
By Soccernet staff

England coach Fabio Capello has opened the door for David Beckham to continue his international career after claiming earlier this month that the veteran would not be considered for his Euro 2012 squad.

David Beckham
GettyImagesFabio Capello previously said David Beckham would not be considered.

• England's injury crisis

Capello told the media before the friendly clash with Hungary that Beckham would be offered a "farewell to the fans" friendly to say thank you for years of service. But now the Italian has performed a U-turn and admitted that the midfielder will be considered for his squad if he regains full fitness after his ankle injury.

"First Beckham has to be playing again but the door is always open. We're monitoring all the players,'' Capello told the News of the World. "Once he recovers and is in really good condition, we will have a chat.

"I think the future is with the youth but after that, I will decide which players to choose. We know the value of the different older players. The future is with the young players because we have to think about the Euros but no player is out."

Beckham went to the 2010 World Cup, but only as a part of Capello's coaching staff as he made his recovery from a torn Achilles tendon and Capello admits he plays an important role.

"The relationship between me and David is really good,'' he said. "I spoke with him on the phone because he was part of the staff at the World Cup. Usually I don't speak with players but in this case I spoke with David."

Capello's squad for the Euro 2012 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Switzerland will be announced on Sunday and looks set to include Fulham's young goalkeeper David Stockdale after the Italian was seen watching him from the stands on Saturday.