Bolton boss Owen Coyle would love to make further additions to his squad before Tuesday's transfer deadline but insists he holds "no fears" about what he already has at his disposal.
Bolton target top ten
Five new players have arrived at the Reebok Stadium this summer, with Martin Petrov and Robbie Blake acquired for free, Marcos Alonso bought from Real Madrid, Ivan Klasnic signed on a permanent deal following last season's loan spell and youngster Tom Eaves snapped up from Oldham.
Coyle had also hoped to bring Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere back for another loan spell after his successful stint with Wanderers in 2009-10, but neither that, nor a similar deal for Manchester United's Tom Cleverley, have materialised yet.
The manager has full confidence in the group he is already working with though, even if it is slightly more threadbare than he would ideally like.
"We would love to strengthen - you ask any manager up and down the country, and they will tell you the same thing," Coyle said. "This pre-season has been difficult. Some years it is easier than others to build teams, purely down to finance, but we don't moan about it.
"I think it would be fair to say we won't have a 25-man squad (to submit to the Premier League next week), but whoever I ask to play and wear the shirt, they will do it with pride. I'd have absolutely no fears about the squad that we have got.
"We'd love to get one or two to help them, but if not, we will get on with it and we will do our utmost to win each and every game we enter into."
Wanderers contacted United about Cleverley earlier this summer but his manager Sir Alex Ferguson has since indicated that he wants the 21-year-old midfielder to stay at Old Trafford.
"I am loath to speak about other teams' players, I always am, but Tom Cleverley is a terrific player," Coyle said. "He is a very talented young player. We made an enquiry before Manchester United went (on a pre-season tour) to America regarding Tom coming on loan, and Sir Alex said at that time that he would think about it.
"They came back from America, the lad had been terrific on the tour and they decided they would hold onto him, which I totally understand. If that changes between now and Tuesday, that is a different situation.
"As it is, I've not heard that to be the case, but if it changes then I will let you know."
Coyle accepts the transfer window is now very much a part of English football, but was a far bigger fan of the system that preceded it.
"I'm very old fashioned in many ways and I'm from the old school - there really shouldn't be a transfer window," he said. "I can understand why people brought it in, but for me, the old-fashioned system, where if you had two or three injuries you would go and buy a player if possible - I don't see what is wrong with that."
Meanwhile, Coyle has revealed Sean Davis could be out of action for up to two months with a knee problem. Davis has made only four appearances for Wanderers since joining from Portsmouth in the summer of 2009 and missed virtually the whole of last season after undergoing surgery to repair an articular cartilage injury.
The midfielder came out of a recent reserve game against Manchester City feeling some discomfort in his knee and Coyle has vowed to take no risks with Davis' recovery.
"We've done a scan and he has been told to rest completely for six to eight weeks," Coyle said. "It's disappointing for Sean and the football club because he has worked ever so hard to get himself in decent shape but we have to make sure that we do the right thing.
"It's the advice that we have been given and that's where we are with everything."