transfer news

Redknapp doubtful over Fabiano deal

August 27, 2010
By Soccernet staff

Harry Redknapp has revealed Tottenham have made an enquiry for Sevilla striker Luis Fabiano but said a deal remains unlikely.

Redknapp on Inter draw

Spurs have long been linked with a move for Brazil international Fabiano, 29, and Redknapp confirmed to Soccernet last month that he was keen on the striker. However, he admits there is little prospect of completing the signing as he feels Sevilla have overvalued the player.

"I think the chairman has enquired," he said. "He is a player that I like. I think you are talking crazy money for him, though.

"He has one year left on his contract, I think, and we are talking in excess of £25 million. The figures don't stack up so that won't be a goer at that sort of money."

He added: "There is nothing close to being done, not that I know of. We are nowhere near doing a deal for anybody. I'm not that bothered to be honest.

"We had a couple of targets at the start, and we got one of them, but we have a good squad and we will crack on. If we don't find somebody that we feel will make a difference, we will go with what we've got."

Redknapp also played down suggestions he could move for Roque Santa Cruz, who appears likely to leave Manchester City.

"I don't think Man City are going to let anybody go to teams around the top group," he said. "I saw today that Shay Given could go to Arsenal, but I thought Man City weren't going to sell their players to anybody they felt was going to be challenging for a top four spot alongside them. I don't see that happening."