Everton news

Moyes admits defeat in Donovan pursuit

August 1, 2010
By Soccernet staff

Everton look set to miss out on the signing of American star Landon Donovan this summer after manager David Moyes admitted that the club do not have finances to push any deal through.

Everton, Landon Donovan
GettyImagesLandon Donovan: Rated at £11 million

• Blog: Don't panic during the window

Donovan, who has been tracked by Manchester City after impressing with the USA at the World Cup, spent time on loan at Goodison Park last season and became a firm fans' favourite. The player has said he would love to return to Merseyside, but a reported £11 million fee demanded by the MLS has scuppered any chance of a deal.

"Don't you think I've asked my chairman (Bill Kenwright ) to make it happen?" Moyes said. "We'd love to have Landon but he looks too expensive for us and we just don't have it.

"We don't have the finances. The price the MLS want for him is very big and it's an additional problem because of his age.

"All we've done is spend £1 million on Magaye Gueye so far. Jermaine Beckford and Jan Mucha were free, so we've spent no money by Premier League standards and will probably be the ones who spend the least this season."