FA Cup round-up

FA Cup: Stoke down City, Spurs thrash Bolton

February 24, 2010
By Soccernet Staff

Stoke heaped more pressure on Roberto Mancini after they beat ten-man Manchester City 3-1 to book their place in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup.

Ryan Shawcross celebrates his goal for Stoke
GettyImagesRyan Shawcross celebrates his goal for Stoke

Ryan Shawcross and Tuncay struck in extra-time as Stoke dramatically emerged victorious. Craig Bellamy had ensured the FA Cup fifth-round replay at the Britannia Stadium finished 1-1 after 90 minutes by immediately cancelling out Dave Kitson's late opener.

But Stoke made their numerical advantage count after Emmanuel Adebayor's harsh sending-off, by reclaiming the lead through Shawcross from a Rory Delap throw and Tuncay finished the job.

Tottenham thumped hapless Bolton 4-0 at White Hart Lane to seal a trip to Fulham in the last eight thanks to two goals from Roman Pavlyuchenko.

The £13.8 million Russia international Pavlyuchenko, who was starting only his third game of the season after bagging a double off the bench against Wigan at the weekend, put Spurs ahead after 23 minutes with a tenacious turn and finish.

Tottenham's passage was sealed with own goals either side of half-time from Bolton goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen and defender Andy O'Brien. Pavlyuchenko then rounded off the evening with the fourth goal, which he slotted past Jussi Jaaskelainen after being picked out in the box by substitute Danny Rose.

John Carew won and converted two late penalties to keep Aston Villa on course for a second Wembley final as they disposed of Crystal Palace 3-1 at Villa Park.

Villa took the lead three minutes before half-time but, like in the first leg, there was controversy, with the ball appearing to go out of play off James Milner, but referee Martin Atkinson awarded a corner.

Agbonlahor was first to react to Ashley Young's centre and sent a back header into the corner of the net for his 14th goal of the campaign. However, Palace drew level after 72 minutes when defender Stephen Warnock was adjudged to have brought down Alan Lee in the area and Darren Ambrose converted the penalty.

Carew had the final say for the Carling Cup finalists with his double blast after both penalties were conceded by Matthew Lawrence.

Villa will now play Reading after they staged a remarkable comeback to see off a West Brom side who were themselves within a minute of a meeting their Midlands neighbours.

Gylfi Sigurdsson proved to be the matchwinner in the fifth minute of extra time, just moments after Brian Howard's strike in the third of four stoppage-time minutes at the end of normal time had brought a dramatic end to the fifth-round replay.

The most relieved man in the Black Country must surely have been Royals goalkeeper Adam Federici, whose calamitous 47th-minute gaff in letting Robert Koren's shot squirm horribly through his body looked to have proved the difference.

Koren had earlier handed the Baggies a sixth-minute lead in the fifth-round replay before Jimmy Kebe levelled almost immediately - both players also scored the first two goals in the initial 2-2 draw between the two sides at the Madejski Stadium.