Premier League news

David Moyes reveals second no-show was behind Jo exit

January 22, 2010

Everton manager David Moyes has revealed he decided to offload on-loan striker Jo back to Manchester City after the Brazilian failed to turn up for training again this week.

Jo
GettyImagesJo has moved to Turkey with Galatasaray

The Toffees boss feared the 22-year-old, who had already been fined and suspended for returning to his homeland over Christmas without permission, was becoming too much of a disruptive influence.

Jo returned to training at the beginning of last week but when he failed to turn up at the club's Finch Farm complex on Monday Moyes' patience ran out and he decided to cut short the season-long loan. City immediately loaned him out to Turkish side Galatasaray.

"Jo didn't come in over Christmas so we fined and suspended him,'' said Moyes. "I brought him back in, spoke to him and explained to the players I was going to give him another chance and he came and trained with us last week.

"And then he didn't turn up for training on Monday again so I don't know how many more chances I can give people. I thought it was only the going to be disruptive to the players, who thought it was the right thing to bring him back after his suspension. But when he never came in to work on Monday that was the final straw.''

Jo scored just two goals in 24 appearances for Everton this season but his last match came back on December 12 when he was substituted just after half-time in the 3-3 draw at Chelsea.

Meanwhile, Moyes has confirmed the club are in talks with Polish club Legia Warsaw over the possibility of signing Slovakia goalkeeper Jan Mucha.

The 27-year-old is out of contract in the summer and it is believed negotiations are leaning towards securing the player to move at the end of the season. Moyes said suggestions an agreement had already been reached were premature.

"I couldn't confirm that at the moment but we are in talks,'' said the Toffees boss.

Mucha has won 13 international caps and is likely to play for Slovakia at the World Cup in South Africa.

Moyes also confirmed 24-year-old Molde defender Knut Olav Rindaroy had spent a couple of days at the club this week but refused to say what the outcome of the visit had been.

"He came in and saw us for a day or two this week,'' added the Everton manager. When asked whether the player had returned to Norway all Moyes said was: "That's all I'm saying at the moment.''