Pedro Mendes has rubbished reports he wants out of Rangers, insisting: "I don't need to go back to Portugal.''
Ibrox midfielder Mendes has repeatedly been linked this month with a move to Sporting Lisbon and has been quoted on more than one occasion as being willing to return to his homeland.
But the 30-year-old told BBC Scotland: "I've been reading some incredible stories. The only thing I know is that (Ibrox chief executive) Martin Bain had a call from the Sporting director of football a few weeks ago. I love Glasgow, the family loves Glasgow and Rangers is a great club.''
Mendes, who joined Rangers in the summer of 2008 and is under contract for another 18 months, has only recently returned to full training following a knee injury that has kept him out since October.
With his club currently mired in financial problems, it has been widely reported a bid for the Portuguese playmaker would be welcomed.
However, the former Porto, Tottenham and Portsmouth star is only focusing on getting back into the Rangers side and into the Portugal squad for the World Cup.
"I think journalists should think before they start writing,'' he added. "I got back into the Portugal squad playing for Rangers, so I don't need to go back to Portugal.''
Mendes' international career has been sporadic since his debut against Scotland in 2002 but he did win his fourth cap shortly before his injury last year.
He played for an hour in a friendly game against Dunfermline on Wednesday but Saturday's SPL game against Hearts may come to soon for him.
"It's been like a new pre-season,'' he said of his rehabilitation from injury. "I need games to build to build up match fitness. I feel good but it's up to the gaffer.''