serie a news

Inter Milan rule out further signings in January

January 19, 2010
By Soccernet staff

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti says the club will not make any more signings in the January transfer window.

Inter had hoped to acquire Roma forward Julio Baptista to reinforce their attacking line, but the clubs failed to reach an agreement for the transfer of the Brazil international and Moratti insists there will be no further business this month.

"Roma have taken a decision and we respect it," he said. "Inter's transfer market is closed. We are not monitoring (Cristian) Ledesma or any other player who is not already at Inter."

Lazio midfielder Ledesma had been a reported target of the Serie A leaders to replace the departed Patrick Vieira. Vieira joined Manchester City earlier this month, while Honduran striker David Suazo also left for Genoa last week.

Inter have made just one signing this month with the arrival of former Lazio striker Goran Pandev as a free agent.