No move for striker

Sunderland deny Jones is heading to Liverpool

January 18, 2010

Sunderland have dismissed claims that striker Kenwyne Jones is set to sign for Liverpool on loan.

Kenwyne Jones
GettyImagesKenwyne Jones became Stoke's record signing when he joined on Wednesday for £8 million

It was reported on Monday that the 25-year-old Trinidad and Tobago international was due at Anfield for a medical as under-fire Reds boss Rafael Benitez seeks a temporary replacement for the injured Fernando Torres.

However, sources at Sunderland told Press Association Sport there is "not a chance'' of that happening after weeks of speculation over the former Southampton frontman's future.

And chairman Niall Quinn confirmed there will be no sale of the man former boss Roy Keane signed for £6 million in August 2007.

"Kenwyne Jones knows exactly what I think of him. I love him as a footballer," Quinn told the Sunderland Echo. "He's got the complete package and if things work out for him in the second half of the season, he's vital to us.

"Behind the scenes agents may be setting up things with football clubs, but it happens today. We don't want to get rid of anybody at the football club."

It is still believed the Wearsiders might be prepared to consider an offer for Jones, but only at the right price. Birmingham made an enquiry earlier in the transfer window which has gone no further.

Jones once again partnered Sunderland's leading scorer Darren Bent in Saturday's 7-2 Premier League drubbing at Chelsea.

Hours earlier, a Liverpool side shorn of key men Torres, Steven Gerrard and Yossi Benayoun through injury had allowed a 1-0 lead to slip at Stoke when Robert Huth snatched a point with a last-gasp equaliser at the Britannia Stadium.