CAF confirm Togo exit, but they may return
Togo have finally left the 2010 African Nations Cup, although their future in the tournament remains shrouded in uncertainty after it emerged they have asked to return to Angola at a later date.
• Togo want to play on
• Prem bosses want cancellation
Togo's part in the tournament had been under consideration since Friday's fatal machine gun attack on their bus that left three men dead and a CAF official told AFP: "The (Togolese) bus is leaving (the team camp) for the airport, in order to repatriate the Togolese squad, and the two bodies."
The players were ordered back to Togo against their wishes by the country's leading governmental figures on Sunday. The decision - made by Togolese prime minister Gilbert Fossoun Houngbo and president Faure Gnassingbe - came after the players had performed a U-turn and decided to play as a mark of respect to the dead.
And they may still get their wish after it emerged sports minister Christophe Tchao had asked for their place in the tournament remain open.
He told reporters before the squad left Cabinda: ''We have ordered a three-day mourning. The players are leaving with the bodies of their fallen brothers and we have asked the Confederation of African Football (CAF) to find an arrangement so we can catch up with the competition later.''