German defender set for Eastlands?

Man City eye Bayern defender Lahm

December 8, 2009
By Soccernet staff

Manchester City are preparing to make a £12 million swoop for Bayern Munich defender Philipp Lahm in January, according to reports in the UK press.

Philipp Lahm
GettyImagesPhilipp Lahm: Bayern are ten points off top spot

City boss Mark Hughes was spotted on a scouting mission at the Bundesliga club's Allianz Arena last month and was impressed by the German international.

England left-back Wayne Bridge, who joined City in a £12 million move from Chelsea in January 2009, is the man under threat from the possible arrival of Lahm. Bridge has not enjoyed the best start to the season at Eastlands and is part of a defence that has been heavily criticised.

German giants Bayern have struggled to meet their own high standards this term and in November Lahm openly criticised the club, claiming they had "no philosophy".

Bayern's vice-captain later apologised but it is though he is eager to leave the club and general manager Uli Hoeness could be ready to let the 26-year-old go.

Meanwhile, Bayern Munich president Franz Beckenbauer has reluctantly admitted that Italian striker Luca Toni is likely to leave the club in January.

Beckenbauer told Gazzetta dello Sport: "I like Toni as a player and as a person. He has done a lot in Munich and Bayern have given a lot to him. I would like to keep him but if he wants to go then he should go."

Toni admits he has made mistakes in Bavaria and is keen to restore his reputation in his homeland.

"I miss everything from my country - the fans, my friends, my mother," he told Italian magazine Chi. "In Germany I have made mistakes that I regret. And they are likely to cost me a place at the World Cup in South Africa.

"Nevertheless, I hope I still get the nod from coach Marcello Lippi."