man city news

Bellamy explains his role in fan confrontation

October 26, 2009
By Soccernet staff

Manchester City striker Craig Bellamy has explained why the Football Association were right to spare him any charges over his altercation with a supporter during last month's Premier League derby at Old Trafford.

Craig Bellamy
EmpicsCraig Bellamy is involved in an incident with a Manchester United fan.

Bellamy was concerned about the repercussions of widespread criticism of his behaviour in a match City lost 4-3 - but he was subsequently heartened the FA chose only to warn him about his conduct.

The 30-year-old Wales captain told BBC Radio 5 live: ''The simple facts are that he shouldn't have been on the pitch - and I shouldn't have gone over to him.''

But recalling the events of a match in which he scored twice, Bellamy clarified: ''I didn't punch him, didn't slap him, didn't backhand him.

''I've gone over, told him to get off the pitch. I didn't quite say it like that - but he got the message. He shoved his head towards me - and the FA have seen this; everyone has seen this.''

The fan in question was fined £305 and banned from all football matches for three years.

Bellamy added: ''Certain papers tried to make it look like I have just attacked some fan. I've shoved his head out of my direction, clear as that. The FA have seen that, that's why I didn't get a ban.''