Campbell quits Notts County

Eriksson "very disappointed" with Campbell

September 24, 2009
By Soccernet staff

Sven-Goran Eriksson said he feels personally let down by Sol Campbell after the high-profile defender quit Notts County having played just one game for the League Two club.

Sol Campbell
GettyImagesSol Campbell signs an autograph at Notts County

• Wenger: Sol can cut it at the top
• Andy Cole snubbed County offer
• "Reality check" forced Sol to quit

The former England manager, who is now director of football at County, used his considerable influence to help recruit the centre-back from Premier League side Portsmouth in a shock transfer earlier this month.

Campbell signed a five-year £40,000-a-week deal after being informed of the Magpies grand project to secure Premier League football and shown around Meadow Lane. But the 35-year-old made a hasty exit after making his debut in a 2-1 defeat at Morecambe on Saturday.

Asked if he felt personally let down by the former England defender's decision to walk out Eriksson said: "Well yes. A little bit. Everybody has the same feeling, the players, coaching staff, directors, the fans. He is a big, big name, not just a big man.

"I am very disappointed, very much so because we signed him and we thought we should have him for longer.''

In an interview with Sky Sports Eriksson also said that he was perplexed by Campbell's claim that he quit because promises to invest in playing staff were broken. The former Manchester City boss pointed out that the club had recruited eight players since the new owners took control of the Magpies and new facilities could not be built in just five weeks.

"It is a long project and that project goes on without Sol Campbell," Eriksson said.