Bundesliga News

Oktoberfest visit costs Lehmann first team spot

September 21, 2009
By Soccernet staff

Stuttgart's former Germany goalkeeper Jens Lehmann has been dropped from the first-team squad for paying a visit to Oktoberfest.

Lehmann: Went to Oktoberfest hours after his sloppy error cost Stuttgart
GettyImages / AlexGrimmLehmann: Went to Oktoberfest hours after his sloppy error cost Stuttgart

The 39-year-old was spotted at Munich's beer festival only hours after his side had been beaten 2-0 by Cologne in the Bundesliga, although he had not been given permission to attend.

''[Director of sport] Horst Heldt and I will talk with Jens about this on Thursday and then we will see where to go,'' coach Markus Babbel said on the club's website.

Stuttgart confirmed Lehmann would not be part of the squad which travels to face Lubeck in the second round of the DFB-Pokal on Wednesday.

The keeper had gifted Cologne their second goal when he raced out of his area only to lose possession and allow Wilfried Sanou to shoot into an empty net from 45 yards out.

Lehmann apologised for breaking club rules, accepted the suspension, but claimed his motives were good.

''The visit to [Oktoberfest] was part of a charity event and it had been planned for a long time,'' he said. ''However, it was not agreed with the club. Of course I accept the measures taken by the sporting management.''