tevez saga

Joorabchian insists United relationship is "cordial''

May 14, 2009
By Soccernet staff

Kia Joorabchian has reiterated that there has not yet been a bid from Manchester United for Carlos Tevez but insists that his relationship with the club remains "cordial''.

EmpicsTevez: from red to blue?

There has been confusion over the last couple of days after manager Sir Alex Ferguson revealed that discussions had taken place over the Argentine striker's future, only for Joorabchian - whose investment group MSI actually owns the player - to claim no offer had been made and no agreement on the horizon.

Joorabchian has admitted that he has met United chief executive David Gill for intial discussions.

Tevez is on loan at Old Trafford until the end of the current season after a two-year stay. The 25-year-old has spoken of his frustration that a deal has not been struck, and the situation has led to speculation he could join a number of clubs including AC Milan, Liverpool and Manchester City.

Both Tevez and United want the situation resolved with the status quo remaining in place, but there is no certainty that it is achievable.

"They haven't made a formal offer,'' he told talkSPORT on Thursday evening.

"I met with (United chief executive) David Gill yesterday [Wednesday], we spoke briefly and they said they were interested and they liked Carlos.

"Sir Alex had a conversation with Carlos where he said that he liked him a lot, but there was no formal offer, and United have clarified that.

"There have been cordial discussions but there haven't been any offers as such.''

Joorabchian also confirmed that Tevez is determined to remain in the Premier League.

"His preference is to stay in England. He really wants to stay in England for the next five years,'' he added.